Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pan Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

I love chicken but K hates it. So I usually cook chicken for myself and it works out fine because I'm usually on my own for lunch most days. One recipe I use very frequently is this one, with variations depending on what vegetables and spices I have at hand. It's a one pot dish and I often have it just as it is, with no accompanying bread.




This pan roasted chicken is very adaptable. Use different spice mixes, change the vegetable combinations, add a dash of soy sauce.. the permutations are endless.

Chicken, cut into pieces
2 large onions, sliced thickly
2 carrots, cut into batons
2 potatoes, cut into batons
6 cloves garlic, chopped
Mushrooms, sliced thick
1 large capsicum, sliced thick
Salt, pepper, bottled spice mix, olive oil

Heat oil in a large deep pan and put in the potatoes and the carrots. Let them cook a bit and then add the onions. Keep the heat at medium and let it all cook covered for about 5 mins. Add the garlic too. Throw in the mushrooms and, if you're using an entire chicken, add the leg and thigh pieces. Stir around and then let it cook for another few minutes. The mushrooms will give out a ton of water so let it dry out. Do give it the occasional stir, don't ignore it completely.

Tip in the rest of the chicken and let it all cook covered for about 10 minutes. Do go back to it an stir the pieces around so they all brown a bit. Add salt and pepper and a good generous dash of any bottled spice mix that you like. I'm very partial to a Cajun Spice mix. You can also bung in fresh herbs or dried ones and avoid the spice mix entirely. Whatever works for you. Add the sliced capsicums last and give it all a good stir.

Once the chicken is cooked you're good to go. Have it on it's own, like I do, or have it with a crisp salad and bread.

Marathon Bloggers Day 15


3 comments:

Jenny Arata said...

I'm with you... I love chicken.

Pushpz said...

love this...its better than gram masala and other indian spices :))

Kalyan Karmakar said...

i do a lot of pan roasting...i call it dude food :)